Stroud Valley Scout Group is part of Stroud & Tetbury District. We have a long, scouting history with the original St Lawrence Scout Group formed in 1936 and St Peters Scout Group formed in 1952. In 1981, the groups merged to become Stroud Valley Scout Group.
The Scout Group has three sections. We meet on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings during term time.
- Monday – 6.15pm to 7.45pm Cubs
- Wednesday – 6pm to 7pm Beavers and 6.30pm to 8pm Cubs
- Thursday – 7.30pm to 9pm Scouts
Scouting subs are £35 per term (old term ie what is now terms 1 and 2), which equates to £105 per year or £3 per week – based on 36 weeks. They are paid for a whole term even if a child misses a week or decides to leave during part of the term.
Download the reminder letter about subs for Beavers, Cubs, Scouts. We can claim Gift Aid on the subs that you pay. Please download, complete the Gift Aid declaration and hand it in to your leader.
The subs that you pay each week fund several things:
- Activities / Badges / Neckerchiefs: Our leaders organise activities for your children to do on a weekly basis. These activities often count towards activity and challenge badges. The subs you pay fund these activities and the badges that are earned. Additional, larger activities like camps are paid for separately.
- Capitation costs: Each year the Scout Association takes a census (or count) on 31st January for all child members of our group. The “capitation” due is paid for each child in the Group at that time, regardless of how often that child attends. This cost is about £49 per child and is paid to the District, so we do not directly benefit from this money.
- HQ costs: We are very lucky to have our own headquarters and wonderful grounds in the centre of Stroud. But that does come at a cost. It currently costs us about £7,000 to run the building (heating, lighting, cleaning, servicing, and insurances). We try to offset most of that cost by hiring the building out to organisations and individuals when the scouting groups are not using it.
Registered Charity Number: